Knowing how to use a car diagnostic tool can be highly beneficial in many ways possible especially during moments of urgent needs. With a car diagnostic tool, the frustrations that comes with emergency needs can become a concern of the past. With these critical assets, managing, evaluating and finding solutions to car problems becomes timely and more stress-free.
A car diagnostic tool is one of the best ways to ensure your car health as it directs you to the source of your vehicle problem, tells you how to fix it, and at the same time boosts your ego-making you feel like an experienced mechanic. Clearly, with these amazing benefits, learning how to use the car diagnostic tool is a must.
Here in this article is all you need to know about how to use car diagnostic tools, when to use them, and so much more.
What is Car Diagnostic Tool?
A car diagnostic tool can also be called an OBD2 scanner, with the OBD standing for On-Board Diagnostics. It is designed to detect and clear code errors by reading the main components of your car’s computer system and works with almost all modern vehicles. So, it’s most likely going to work with yours.
A car diagnostic tool will go a long way in making sure your car is in perfect shape and save you from the unnecessary hassle of faulty engines and car parts.
When to Use Car Diagnostic Tool
The fact is that this tool will not magically fix all your car issues-it wouldn’t fix your car tires for sure. So, the only way you can get the best out of it is by knowing exactly when you should do it. Here is when to use the car diagnostic tool:
When The Check Engine Light Comes On?
This warning light that seems to be always on even though the engine is not about to pack up is something you should note. It represents not one, not two, but quite a number of things that might be wrong with your engine, exhaust, or transmission systems. Instead of ignoring the light, put your diagnostic tool to work.
To Gather Vehicle Statistics/performance
The ability to gather the statistics of your vehicle is a feature common to high-end diagnostic tools that are not just capable of reading engine codes but can go as far as measuring the data of the car’s systems to modify it.
How To Use Car Diagnostic Tool
Though some diagnostic tools have advanced features like collecting vehicle statistics, all are actually similar in function and design. To make use of the diagnostic tool, here are things you need alongside it:
- OBD2 port: all cars produced in this age-since 1996 actually̶-come with an inbuilt OBD2 port and a diagnostic system to work with it. If your car is a much older version, you would have to go about your vehicle’s diagnosis manually by lifting the hood or taking it to the auto shop.
- The port’s location: having an OBD port without knowing the location is as good as not having one; so, when shopping for your car, make sure to ask for the location of the port. The port is mainly located near the steering wheel, around the dashboard, and sometimes around the middle console or passenger side.
However, check the user manual for clarity to be on the safer side.
Note: Before putting the OBD scanner into the port, make sure to turn off the car.
Now that you know what you need for a functional OBD scanner, you are well on your way to a better car experience. The next important thing to know is that it is pretty easy to use. All you have to do is follow the laid down procedure as listed below:
Connect The Tool To The Obd 2 Port
Data is usually transferred from the port to the diagnostic tool once connected, allowing easy access to anything the vehicle has spotted, like faults and issues. After carrying out this step, all you have to do is make minor adjustments so as to get the full information.
You can use the OBD 2 port with any scanner, so you don’t have to worry if your scanner will fit. However, to get the best experience, you should ensure the end connector of the scanner is held firmly into the port.
This step doesn’t require you to turn on your vehicle, although you might need to if the onboard computer needs to monitor the car’s health or your vehicle doesn’t store codes in its memory.
Read The Car’s Codes
The diagnostic tool downloads the codes from the car and presents them to you through these codes would make no meaning to you unless you are well vast in its programming language. To read the code:
- After the tool is well fitted into the port, click on the unit’s power button to switch on the device. If the unit is Bluetooth enabled, you can switch on the tool via Bluetooth.
- Check the scanner to make sure it reads the code automatically; if it doesn’t, you need to click on the scan button to kickstart the process.
- The scan should be completed in a few seconds, after which you’d get precise information on the specific error or issue detected.
- Ensure you record the data received or note the codes if the information provided by your scanner is insufficient or not enough to understand.
Some scanners would store the codes but download the codes using your computer if it doesn’t.
Interpret The Documented Data
Interpreting the data is the next step. To do this, you will need a code reader to translate the codes into understandable and straightforward words in either of these ways:
- Interpret the code from the diagnostic scanner.
- Do an online search for vehicle diagnostic codes. Searching the automobile manufacturer website would make this easier.
- Use dedicated software that downloads the error codes from the scanner and reads it from the desktop.
Fix The Problem
This final step is dependent on your level of experience and mechanical skills. You can go about this step in two different ways:
- You might feel solving the problem is within your capacity, so in this case, you can attempt the repair yourself. Nevertheless, it is essential to know that the error codes might mean more significant issues than you think before doing this.
- You can decide to take the vehicle to a mechanic to solve the issue. Taking your car to a mechanic is a much better option as the mechanic is usually more experienced and knowledgeable than you.
Does Fixd Car Diagnostic Work?
The fixed car diagnostic is an OBD 2 car diagnostic scan tool made up of an application that you can install on your smartphone or mobile devices and a physical OBD 2 plug inserted into your vehicle. This gadget helps you perform a self-diagnosis of your car in real-time via its OBD 2 system and App.
So, to the question, does fixd car diagnostic work? The answer is a big yes! It works by sending a warning to your smart device when your vehicle has technical issues. It also gives you a comprehensive analysis to ensure you can monitor your vehicle and its problems from your device and tells you the possible amount you’d have to spend to fix the problem.
This diagnostic tool is easy to use, reliable and durable; it is worth every penny. It is perfect for you if you love to keep the internal functions of your vehicle updated and avoid unnecessary damage.
How To Use A Fixed Diagnostic?
One of the best things about the fixd is that it doesn’t need to be charged as it is always connected to your car’s OBD port. Another good thing about it is that you need not worry about draining your car’s battery because it is always in low-power mode. This tool works together with its free Android and iOS app that communicates with the server via Bluetooth.
How to use a fixed diagnostic is answered in these simple steps:
- Fit the fixd into the lower part of your vehicle’s steering wheel.
- Search for the code reader.
- Install the application from the play store or app store of your android or apple device.
- Fill out the forms that pop up to register your details as requested.
- Take note of the number of fixed sockets you’ll find on the label.
- Wait a bit for the setup between the App and the OBD sensor to be complete.
Once these steps are completed, your fixd diagnostic is ready for action.
Where You Can Find Fixd Devices
You can get a fixd device directly from the company’s websites as well as Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart; nevertheless, you should get it from the company’s website as it comes with a special, limited, and promotional price. However, its application can be downloaded from your play store or app store, depending on the device you use.
What Are Safety Precautions When Using Car Diagnostic Tools?
Your car issues notwithstanding, you should never compromise your safety and that of those around you. Below are safety measures to take note of:
- Always put on safety goggles or eye protection.
- Keep hair, clothes, hands, tools, and other sensitive equipment away from moving or hot engine parts.
- Carry out the automotive test in a safe environment.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended while running tests.
- Ensure transmission is in “park” for automatic transmission or “neutral” for manual transmission and make sure the parking brake is engaged.
- In case of fire outbreaks, keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- The code reader should be dry, clean, and free from water, grease, and oil always.
- When the need arises, clean the body of the code reader using a clean cloth and a mild detergent.
- Operate the car in a well-ventilated place so poisonous gas from the exhaust would not cause harm.
Truth be told, the car diagnostic tool is a must-have for every vehicle owner. It is not just easy to use; it is affordable, money-saving, and protects you and your precious vehicle from unforeseen accidents and other circumstances. This article has answered not just how to use car diagnostic tools but also given insight into the fixd diagnostic device and safety precautions you should never forget.
Now! Enjoy a healthy vehicle, stress-free and accident-free rides.